Watch the video below to learn how to access vehicles. For all the details, see “Using round-trip vehicles available by reservation” in the FAQ.
In Ontario, Communauto offers two distinct services: the round-trip reservation service, available everywhere except Toronto, and the one-way FLEX service, available only in Toronto, which does not require a reservation.
Round-trip vehicles available by reservation
Station-based: Bring your Communauto back to its station.
- Pick up the car at the station you selected and return it to the station where you picked it up at the agreed time.
- Round-trip vehicles can be booked up to a month in advance.
- Ideal for planned trips or when you need to make sure you have access to a vehicle at a specific time and place.
One-way FLEX without reservation
Travel from point A to B: Release your FLEX car where you want, when you want.
- The ideal solution for spontaneous trips or when you plan to return using another transportation mode.
- Release the car at your destination within the FLEX Zone to minimize costs and take advantage of parking in resident-only zones.
- Feel the freedom of getting around with FLEX!
All Ontario members have access to Toronto vehicles with their membership. Visit our Communauto Toronto website for the details about Toronto rates.
To learn how to access cars elsewhere, see “How do I use Communauto in other provinces and countries?” in the FAQ.
Find a Car
The links below will give you a quick overview of our vehicle network in Ontario. Download the Communauto app to reserve a vehicle.
Find vehicles in Ottawa
Find vehicles in Kingston
Find vehicles in Southwestern Ontario
Freedom from parking hassles is one of the big advantages of carsharing. There’s no need to secure a place to park a car, or pay for monthly parking. It’s one more way that carsharing saves you money.
All of our station-based vehicles have reserved parking spaces which will be waiting for you at the end of each trip.
Our vehicle stations are located, for the most part, in private or public lots. At most stations, there is a specific parking spot reserved for us, while in some, it is possible to park anywhere onsite.
Find out parking details in the Communauto app by clicking on the station name once you have selected a vehicle. Learn more >
The cost of gas is always included in our rates.
For your convenience, credit cards are provided in vehicles for refuelling. For instructions on how to use the cards, see “Fuelling, collisions, and other trip-related questions” in the FAQ.
We ask that you return the vehicles with at least a quarter tank of gas. This is a rule of courtesy toward other members.
Communauto vehicles are covered by insurance, including collision and third-party liability. You can drive with peace of mind!When you apply, all you have to do is choose a Damage Protection Plan option which will determine the maximum damage fee you will have to pay in the event of collision or damage to a vehicle, namely: $ 0, $300, or $600 per event (responsible or not). Learn more >
See Insurance and Damage Protection in the FAQ for full details.
To be eligible to join, you must:
- Be at least 19 years of age (unless joining under a family membership)
- Hold an Ontario G or G2 class licence
- Have no major or criminal driving convictions
- Have no violations relating to impaired driving
- Have a good credit record
- Have a relatively clean driving record (3-year uncertified driving record)
You can order your driving record online, or visit a Service Ontario location in person ($12).
For the same price, we can obtain your driving record for you if you choose. You can request this in the online application form.
See Eligibility Criteria in the FAQ for full details, or what to do if your driver’s licence has been issued in another province or country.
Please allow four business days for us to process your application.
As soon as you receive the email confirming approval of your application, you can start using the service without delay.